Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Modular's Christmas Bash!

So recently I was lucky enough to grab a ticket to attend the Modular Christmas Party being held at Beach Rd Hotel, in the Pom nation suburb of Bondi. No unfortunately I wasn't invited or on the guest list (one day I will be able to read my name on the elusive guest-list!), but I did walk into a Christmas bash that could really only be described as the who's who of the Indie scene. Needless to say I was in utter awe to see some of my favourite artists gallivanting around the premises and it was not long before I realised, that the guy who I had been intensely chatting to about the current music scene, was also the bass player for none other than much-loved Perth newcomers Tame Impala.

Over the next few hours I proceeded to work my way through the party, all the while wishing I had something worthwhile to network but still trying to network anyway and it was right around the time I started talking to KIM (The Presets), who I had originally mistaken for my now absent friend, that I decided I would can a networking attempt and simply bask in the glory that was emerging Australian music, arts and culture. Which in turn ended up with me receiving a free beer for my decision!


As a gazed among the masses of scenesters, clubrats and perennial rockstars I began to realise, personally, that today was more than just the music. It was of course a showcase of Modular talent, but it was also about what music had done for each of the people attending the event. Sure some people were there on a professional basis, but that was just it, everyone had a purpose of their own for being there. Music, arts and entertainment has the ability to influence the masses, change lives, steal wives and of course provide jobs for those of us who don't like/ or were never good at crunching numbers. Yes, this is what I was thinking around this point in the night, fairly introspective, but nonetheless.

Carrying on, and it was as I was walking to the stage I noticed I had just walked in on Jonathon Boulet's set...Now this is a signing that Modular will be glad they grabbed when they did! If you haven’t already heard the amazing "Community Service Announcement" then it is about time you took at look at this 21 year old Sydney native. With his accompanying video for the first single already getting approval from Kanye, it is only a matter of time before we see the fruits of what has emerged from his brain.

On that note, it was a night that could definitely be booked in for next year and with cameras permanently attached to numerous people, I feel I may be discovering myself on blogs and websites for some time to come. But in the end it was a night to remember...if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment